The first cigar bearing the family name was hand-rolled in 1912 when Arturo Fuente started the “A.Fuente Cigar Company” in the West Tampa district. Among the first brands he made was the “Tampa Sweethearts”. Its logo of a man romancing a woman in a rowboat inspired the company’s name. In 1924, “grandpa” lost his business to fire. To pay off creditors, without claiming bankruptcy, he worked hard for other cigar manufacturers in the area.